PHOENIX — Three people were arrested Wednesday after an identification theft raid, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The raid was conducted at East Valley Disaster Services, a restoration business specializing in water, smoke and fire damage repair. MCSO said it received information that as many as 22 people had used false documents to obtain employment.
“This owner cooperated,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in the release. “Business owners in similar situations should do the same to stem the tide of this type of illegal activity.”
The owner of EVDS, Stuart MacLay, said he did not hire any illegal immigrants.
“All of them were E-Verified,” he said, referencing a program that screens employee information to detect identification theft.
MacLay said the raid was frustrating and he had to pull employees from work sites.
“It may have been a bad tip, a disgruntled employee or something like that. Someone we’ve let go, perhaps.”
But Arpaio said the proof is in the numbers.
“When he’s saying what he did, that’s his opinion. But we have proof. We had seven employees that did not have proper ID.”
Three suspects have been charged with identification theft and forgery. Arpaio said one escaped.
The sting is the 75th such operation conducted by MCSO.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night