PHOENIX — Three people were arrested Wednesday after an identification theft raid, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The raid was conducted at East Valley Disaster Services, a restoration business specializing in water, smoke and fire damage repair. MCSO said it received information that as many as 22 people had used false documents to obtain employment.
“This owner cooperated,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in the release. “Business owners in similar situations should do the same to stem the tide of this type of illegal activity.”
The owner of EVDS, Stuart MacLay, said he did not hire any illegal immigrants.
“All of them were E-Verified,” he said, referencing a program that screens employee information to detect identification theft.
MacLay said the raid was frustrating and he had to pull employees from work sites.
“It may have been a bad tip, a disgruntled employee or something like that. Someone we’ve let go, perhaps.”
But Arpaio said the proof is in the numbers.
“When he’s saying what he did, that’s his opinion. But we have proof. We had seven employees that did not have proper ID.”
Three suspects have been charged with identification theft and forgery. Arpaio said one escaped.
The sting is the 75th such operation conducted by MCSO.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths