PHOENIX — Three people were arrested Wednesday after an identification theft raid, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The raid was conducted at East Valley Disaster Services, a restoration business specializing in water, smoke and fire damage repair. MCSO said it received information that as many as 22 people had used false documents to obtain employment.
“This owner cooperated,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in the release. “Business owners in similar situations should do the same to stem the tide of this type of illegal activity.”
The owner of EVDS, Stuart MacLay, said he did not hire any illegal immigrants.
“All of them were E-Verified,” he said, referencing a program that screens employee information to detect identification theft.
MacLay said the raid was frustrating and he had to pull employees from work sites.
“It may have been a bad tip, a disgruntled employee or something like that. Someone we’ve let go, perhaps.”
But Arpaio said the proof is in the numbers.
“When he’s saying what he did, that’s his opinion. But we have proof. We had seven employees that did not have proper ID.”
Three suspects have been charged with identification theft and forgery. Arpaio said one escaped.
The sting is the 75th such operation conducted by MCSO.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets