PHOENIX — Three people were arrested Wednesday after an identification theft raid, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The raid was conducted at East Valley Disaster Services, a restoration business specializing in water, smoke and fire damage repair. MCSO said it received information that as many as 22 people had used false documents to obtain employment.
“This owner cooperated,” Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said in the release. “Business owners in similar situations should do the same to stem the tide of this type of illegal activity.”
The owner of EVDS, Stuart MacLay, said he did not hire any illegal immigrants.
“All of them were E-Verified,” he said, referencing a program that screens employee information to detect identification theft.
MacLay said the raid was frustrating and he had to pull employees from work sites.
“It may have been a bad tip, a disgruntled employee or something like that. Someone we’ve let go, perhaps.”
But Arpaio said the proof is in the numbers.
“When he’s saying what he did, that’s his opinion. But we have proof. We had seven employees that did not have proper ID.”
Three suspects have been charged with identification theft and forgery. Arpaio said one escaped.
The sting is the 75th such operation conducted by MCSO.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development