PHOENIX — A dietitian is warning against a fad that involves eating cotton balls to lose weight.
According to a San Diego TV station, the fad encourages women to eat cotton balls soaked in orange juice as a way to suppress hunger and supposedly lose weight.
But Rachel Brogan, a dietitian at Doorways in Phoenix, told ABC News Radio that the diet is likely to do more harm than good.
“When it sits in your stomach, in your intestines, it may not transition through and you may actually become blocked and have a lot of GI (gastrointestinal) problems,” she said.
In addition to the potential blockages, Brogan also said that cotton balls have no nutritional value and most fad diets are ineffective.
“Most diets regain the weight back — plus some — because of the time the bodies are deprived.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night