PHOENIX — A large group of Republican governors will attend a several-day conference at the Phoenician this week.
The Republican Governors Association conference continues through Friday and includes a who’s who of potential candidates in the 2016 presidential race, including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.
Valley political analyst Stan Barnes said the governors will be talking about the GOP’s message for next year’s midterm elections and beyond. The conference comes at a good time for the party.
“The Republican brand is having a resurgence given the troubles the Obama administration had with the rollout of Obamacare,” he said. “It’s Republican governors who create the momentum nationally for the GOP brand.”
Issues that will be addressed by the group include healthcare, energy, the economy and immigration reform.
Unlike the battles between moderate Republicans and their Tea Party colleagues, Barnes said the conference is not expected to offer a lot of fireworks.
“These governors have to balance competing factions within the party and governors do a better job with that than many other elected officials,” he said. “They can appeal to a broader range of voters. Republicans can’t continue doing what they’ve been doing (infighting) only to lose another presidential election.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon