PHOENIX — A large group of Republican governors will attend a several-day conference at the Phoenician this week.
The Republican Governors Association conference continues through Friday and includes a who’s who of potential candidates in the 2016 presidential race, including New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.
Valley political analyst Stan Barnes said the governors will be talking about the GOP’s message for next year’s midterm elections and beyond. The conference comes at a good time for the party.
“The Republican brand is having a resurgence given the troubles the Obama administration had with the rollout of Obamacare,” he said. “It’s Republican governors who create the momentum nationally for the GOP brand.”
Issues that will be addressed by the group include healthcare, energy, the economy and immigration reform.
Unlike the battles between moderate Republicans and their Tea Party colleagues, Barnes said the conference is not expected to offer a lot of fireworks.
“These governors have to balance competing factions within the party and governors do a better job with that than many other elected officials,” he said. “They can appeal to a broader range of voters. Republicans can’t continue doing what they’ve been doing (infighting) only to lose another presidential election.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns