One Valley group is focusing on animals that are in the greatest need.
“We’re there to provide safety, medical care and comfort until the animal gets adopted,” HALO Animal Rescue President and CEO Heather Allen told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Tuesday.
Allen’s shelter has been caring for animals who otherwise would be euthanized for 19 years. She started HALO with her mother out of a garage.
“I loved dogs,” she said. “I wanted to do more to save dogs and cats and the more I got involved and realized how bad the problem was in the community, I couldn’t stop.”
Last year, HALO moved in with the Maricopa County Animal Control location on 27th Avenue to be closer to needy animals.
“Most of the animals there are strays,” said Allen. “They’re strays or someone’s pet they didn’t take care of.”
Allen said about 88,000 animals are brought in between Maricopa County and the Arizona Humane Society annually. More than half of those are euthanized.
As the holidays approach, some think a pet is a great idea for a gift. Allen supports that idea.
“Research actually shows that people retain pets longer when they get them as a gift,” she said, adding that HALO will work with potential adopters to determine which breed would be the best fit for their home or family.
Allen said her biggest need is both volunteers and financial support. To learn more about HALO, go to halorescue.org or call (602) 971-2222.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier