One Valley group is focusing on animals that are in the greatest need.
“We’re there to provide safety, medical care and comfort until the animal gets adopted,” HALO Animal Rescue President and CEO Heather Allen told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Tuesday.
Allen’s shelter has been caring for animals who otherwise would be euthanized for 19 years. She started HALO with her mother out of a garage.
“I loved dogs,” she said. “I wanted to do more to save dogs and cats and the more I got involved and realized how bad the problem was in the community, I couldn’t stop.”
Last year, HALO moved in with the Maricopa County Animal Control location on 27th Avenue to be closer to needy animals.
“Most of the animals there are strays,” said Allen. “They’re strays or someone’s pet they didn’t take care of.”
Allen said about 88,000 animals are brought in between Maricopa County and the Arizona Humane Society annually. More than half of those are euthanized.
As the holidays approach, some think a pet is a great idea for a gift. Allen supports that idea.
“Research actually shows that people retain pets longer when they get them as a gift,” she said, adding that HALO will work with potential adopters to determine which breed would be the best fit for their home or family.
Allen said her biggest need is both volunteers and financial support. To learn more about HALO, go to halorescue.org or call (602) 971-2222.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments