One Valley group is focusing on animals that are in the greatest need.
“We’re there to provide safety, medical care and comfort until the animal gets adopted,” HALO Animal Rescue President and CEO Heather Allen told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Bruce St. James Show on Tuesday.
Allen’s shelter has been caring for animals who otherwise would be euthanized for 19 years. She started HALO with her mother out of a garage.
“I loved dogs,” she said. “I wanted to do more to save dogs and cats and the more I got involved and realized how bad the problem was in the community, I couldn’t stop.”
Last year, HALO moved in with the Maricopa County Animal Control location on 27th Avenue to be closer to needy animals.
“Most of the animals there are strays,” said Allen. “They’re strays or someone’s pet they didn’t take care of.”
Allen said about 88,000 animals are brought in between Maricopa County and the Arizona Humane Society annually. More than half of those are euthanized.
As the holidays approach, some think a pet is a great idea for a gift. Allen supports that idea.
“Research actually shows that people retain pets longer when they get them as a gift,” she said, adding that HALO will work with potential adopters to determine which breed would be the best fit for their home or family.
Allen said her biggest need is both volunteers and financial support. To learn more about HALO, go to halorescue.org or call (602) 971-2222.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food