PHOENIX — A Valley woman is battling two California-based startups in an online voting contest.
Brend McCaffrey is the creator of the Via Heartbeat Bracelet, a device that lets people know when they have hit their target heart rate while exercising.
The device comes in two parts: a chest strap and a bracelet. The two are paired via Bluetooth. When the target heart rate is reached, the bracelet will blink.
McCaffrey said she designed the product after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and she wanted to cut down her own risk. Studies have shown that exercising for 15 minutes four times per week at a target heart rate can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by 50 percent.
McCaffrey said the device is stylish compared to other heart rate monitors.
The Via Heartbeat Bracelet is currently up against two other products in the Dream Big America contest. A public vote will determine which product will move on. The winner of the contest will receive seed funding, mentoring and resources.
The public vote closes Tuesday night.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night