PHOENIX — A Valley woman is battling two California-based startups in an online voting contest.
Brend McCaffrey is the creator of the Via Heartbeat Bracelet, a device that lets people know when they have hit their target heart rate while exercising.
The device comes in two parts: a chest strap and a bracelet. The two are paired via Bluetooth. When the target heart rate is reached, the bracelet will blink.
McCaffrey said she designed the product after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and she wanted to cut down her own risk. Studies have shown that exercising for 15 minutes four times per week at a target heart rate can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by 50 percent.
McCaffrey said the device is stylish compared to other heart rate monitors.
The Via Heartbeat Bracelet is currently up against two other products in the Dream Big America contest. A public vote will determine which product will move on. The winner of the contest will receive seed funding, mentoring and resources.
The public vote closes Tuesday night.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas