PHOENIX — A Valley woman is battling two California-based startups in an online voting contest.
Brend McCaffrey is the creator of the Via Heartbeat Bracelet, a device that lets people know when they have hit their target heart rate while exercising.
The device comes in two parts: a chest strap and a bracelet. The two are paired via Bluetooth. When the target heart rate is reached, the bracelet will blink.
McCaffrey said she designed the product after her mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and she wanted to cut down her own risk. Studies have shown that exercising for 15 minutes four times per week at a target heart rate can reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s by 50 percent.
McCaffrey said the device is stylish compared to other heart rate monitors.
The Via Heartbeat Bracelet is currently up against two other products in the Dream Big America contest. A public vote will determine which product will move on. The winner of the contest will receive seed funding, mentoring and resources.
The public vote closes Tuesday night.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets