PHOENIX — The Gilbert Public Schools governing board voted unanimously to approve a tax break for Apple Inc., which has plans to open a manufacturing plant in Mesa.
The five-member board voted Monday night, a week after opting to delay the decision.
The board was one of the eight government agencies that needed to approve the tax break.
Although the seven other entities already approved the deal, board member Daryl Colvin said Gilbert Public Schools was the first to have a formal vote.
The decision means the tech giant can move forward with its plans to buy a vacant building near Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport.
Apple planned to spend $1 billion for the building, and bring 700 permanent jobs and 1,300 temporary construction jobs to the Valley.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food