PHOENIX — One of the busiest streets in Phoenix now features 24-foot columns supporting more than 40,000 pounds of steel.
Along Seventh Avenue, just north of Indian School Road, stands a new gateway arch welcoming people to the Melrose District.
“Business owners and community members are ecstatic about the arch,” Seventh Avenue Merchants Association President Teresa Stickler said in a news release. “We really see it as aiding our mission of building and beautifying our community.”
The Melrose District features coffee shops, antique and vintage stores and restaurants. Chai Siriswangporn and his wife, Martha Mendoza, opened Melrose Kitchen earlier this year.
“I like the place and I like the neighborhood,” Mendoza said.
They also like seeing younger people moving in and supporting local businesses.
They can see the 80-foot steel struss structure stretching across Seventh Avenue from the front door of their restaurant.
“It’s beautiful,” said Siriswangporn. “A lot of people, they are very jealous, even people, I have customers here from the Willo (Historic District). They say, ‘Why don’t they put one in the Willo District?'”
A city spokesman said the Melrose arch cost $498,000. Residents and business owners will join Councilman Tom Simplot to celebrate the installation during a ceremony at the arch Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food