PHOENIX — One of the busiest streets in Phoenix now features 24-foot columns supporting more than 40,000 pounds of steel.
Along Seventh Avenue, just north of Indian School Road, stands a new gateway arch welcoming people to the Melrose District.
“Business owners and community members are ecstatic about the arch,” Seventh Avenue Merchants Association President Teresa Stickler said in a news release. “We really see it as aiding our mission of building and beautifying our community.”
The Melrose District features coffee shops, antique and vintage stores and restaurants. Chai Siriswangporn and his wife, Martha Mendoza, opened Melrose Kitchen earlier this year.
“I like the place and I like the neighborhood,” Mendoza said.
They also like seeing younger people moving in and supporting local businesses.
They can see the 80-foot steel struss structure stretching across Seventh Avenue from the front door of their restaurant.
“It’s beautiful,” said Siriswangporn. “A lot of people, they are very jealous, even people, I have customers here from the Willo (Historic District). They say, ‘Why don’t they put one in the Willo District?'”
A city spokesman said the Melrose arch cost $498,000. Residents and business owners will join Councilman Tom Simplot to celebrate the installation during a ceremony at the arch Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life