PHOENIX — A Valley food bank is concerned that a shortage of Butterball turkeys could impact its ability to meet Thanksgiving demand.
With slightly more than a week until Thanksgiving, St. Mary’s Food Bank is 7,000 turkeys short of what it needs. Butterball announced last week that it will only be shipping out about half as many large, never-frozen turkeys this year but the company has met the demands on frozen ones.
Jerry Brown with the food bank said they do not accept never-frozen turkey donations and there’s no guarantee that the Butterball shortage will impact donations, but he’s concerned that a shortage of fresh turkeys in the supermarket could lead people to take frozen turkeys for themselves and lessen donations.
“If we wind up running out of turkeys we will make sure that people get a meat product,” he said. “If it’s not turkey, it will be something else.”
Brown said the current shortage goes beyond turkeys. The food bank is very short on canned fruits and vegetables.
St. Mary’s will have its Super Saturday donation drive this weekend from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at all Albertson’s and St. Mary’s Food Bank locations.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes