PHOENIX — A Valley food bank is concerned that a shortage of Butterball turkeys could impact its ability to meet Thanksgiving demand.
With slightly more than a week until Thanksgiving, St. Mary’s Food Bank is 7,000 turkeys short of what it needs. Butterball announced last week that it will only be shipping out about half as many large, never-frozen turkeys this year but the company has met the demands on frozen ones.
Jerry Brown with the food bank said they do not accept never-frozen turkey donations and there’s no guarantee that the Butterball shortage will impact donations, but he’s concerned that a shortage of fresh turkeys in the supermarket could lead people to take frozen turkeys for themselves and lessen donations.
“If we wind up running out of turkeys we will make sure that people get a meat product,” he said. “If it’s not turkey, it will be something else.”
Brown said the current shortage goes beyond turkeys. The food bank is very short on canned fruits and vegetables.
St. Mary’s will have its Super Saturday donation drive this weekend from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at all Albertson’s and St. Mary’s Food Bank locations.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths