PHOENIX — When President George W. Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, it made about $4 billion available for cities to buy, rehab and resell foreclosed homes.
The idea was to help areas hardest hit by foreclosures, including the Valley.
Phoenix has received about $115 million under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. According to a city council report, Phoenix has addressed 2,584 vacant, foreclosed housing units, the majority being apartments.
Phoenix has completed rehabilitation on six apartment complexes with construction at Sante Fe Springs and Ocotillo Apartments to be finished soon and rehab at Park Lee Apartment to be completed in December.
Phoenix has also bought more than 400 foreclosed homes that have been rehabbed and sold or are in the process.
Buyers must meet income requirements and some get closing-cost help. Another 100 homes in Phoenix are being or have been demolished for future development.
Mesa has received about $15 million under the program. The city has used its federal funds to buy, rehab and resell about 50 homes, including the home in the video below.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier