PHOENIX — When President George W. Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, it made about $4 billion available for cities to buy, rehab and resell foreclosed homes.
The idea was to help areas hardest hit by foreclosures, including the Valley.
Phoenix has received about $115 million under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. According to a city council report, Phoenix has addressed 2,584 vacant, foreclosed housing units, the majority being apartments.
Phoenix has completed rehabilitation on six apartment complexes with construction at Sante Fe Springs and Ocotillo Apartments to be finished soon and rehab at Park Lee Apartment to be completed in December.
Phoenix has also bought more than 400 foreclosed homes that have been rehabbed and sold or are in the process.
Buyers must meet income requirements and some get closing-cost help. Another 100 homes in Phoenix are being or have been demolished for future development.
Mesa has received about $15 million under the program. The city has used its federal funds to buy, rehab and resell about 50 homes, including the home in the video below.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development