PHOENIX — When President George W. Bush signed the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, it made about $4 billion available for cities to buy, rehab and resell foreclosed homes.
The idea was to help areas hardest hit by foreclosures, including the Valley.
Phoenix has received about $115 million under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. According to a city council report, Phoenix has addressed 2,584 vacant, foreclosed housing units, the majority being apartments.
Phoenix has completed rehabilitation on six apartment complexes with construction at Sante Fe Springs and Ocotillo Apartments to be finished soon and rehab at Park Lee Apartment to be completed in December.
Phoenix has also bought more than 400 foreclosed homes that have been rehabbed and sold or are in the process.
Buyers must meet income requirements and some get closing-cost help. Another 100 homes in Phoenix are being or have been demolished for future development.
Mesa has received about $15 million under the program. The city has used its federal funds to buy, rehab and resell about 50 homes, including the home in the video below.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night