PHOENIX — An Arizona couple claimed they were left at sea while they were scuba diving off of Thailand.
According to azfamily.com, Mesa residents Lexa and Jake Mendenhall were in the country to celebrate their first wedding anniversary and decided to go scuba diving.
The Mendenhalls, both certified divers, said they made their second one-hour dive of the day and surfaced to find their boat missing.
“I kept thinking, ‘What if there’s no boat? It’s evening. What boat goes out in the evening?” Lexa wondered.
The couple were left with two dive instructors and another couple. Video filmed by Jake showed nearby cliffs that were to steep to climb.
They were floating for about 30 to 45 minutes before one of the instructors was able to flag another boat using an inner tube. The sun had set by the time they were rescued.
“Thank goodness she had it. The waves were five-feet, so without it I don’t know if the other boat would have seen us at all,” Jake said.
The Mendenhalls said they knew there were sharks in the water.
The captain said he left the area because he had engine troubles.
Lexa was injured after being rescued. She collapsed and cut her chin.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life