PHOENIX — An Arizona couple claimed they were left at sea while they were scuba diving off of Thailand.
According to azfamily.com, Mesa residents Lexa and Jake Mendenhall were in the country to celebrate their first wedding anniversary and decided to go scuba diving.
The Mendenhalls, both certified divers, said they made their second one-hour dive of the day and surfaced to find their boat missing.
“I kept thinking, ‘What if there’s no boat? It’s evening. What boat goes out in the evening?” Lexa wondered.
The couple were left with two dive instructors and another couple. Video filmed by Jake showed nearby cliffs that were to steep to climb.
They were floating for about 30 to 45 minutes before one of the instructors was able to flag another boat using an inner tube. The sun had set by the time they were rescued.
“Thank goodness she had it. The waves were five-feet, so without it I don’t know if the other boat would have seen us at all,” Jake said.
The Mendenhalls said they knew there were sharks in the water.
The captain said he left the area because he had engine troubles.
Lexa was injured after being rescued. She collapsed and cut her chin.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets