PHOENIX — Gilbert Public Schools’ governing board will vote Monday night whether to approve a tax break for Apple, which plans to open a manufacturing firm in Mesa.
By all indications, the five-member board will vote for the tax-break, after delaying the decision by a week.
The school board is involved in the matter because the building Apple is proposing to buy falls within its boundaries. Seven other government agencies have already signed on to the deal.
As of Friday, all the board members indicated they will vote in favor of the tax break, including the two who were originally opposed to the deal. Julie Smith and Daryl Colvin said they needed more time to decide.
“Clearly it’s one of those issues of corporatist favoritism, where somebody gets a more favorable tax rate than many others do,” Colvin said, “but it’s such a huge economic benefit to the area, at least potentially, that I told them I would support it moving forward.”
Smith echoed similar sentiments in a statement she released Friday.
“Since the delay in the vote, I have had the opportunity to obtain significantly more information and facts necessary to make an informed decision that is in the best interests of Gilbert Public Schools and all GPS taxpayers,” the statement said, in part.
Board President Staci Burk also indicated she will vote in favor of the tax break. Members Lily Tram and Jill Humphreys have voiced strong support for approving the deal.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development