PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies have arrested a 16-year-old girl for allegedly abducting her two younger sisters and sparking a statewide Amber Alert.
“We had information that she was suicidal, she had tried suicide in the past,” Deputy Joaquin Enriquez told KTAR. “Obviously, we have other information to lead us to believe that the two children were in danger at the time.”
Enriquez saod deputies were called to the girl’s home in Buckeye on Saturday where they were told she had stolen her mother’s SUV and taken her eight-year-old and one-year-old sisters. Deputies said they also learned the teen had stopped taking medication for depression. Investigators issued an Amber Alert Saturday night.
“This is a way that we’ve been able to get quick information to the public,” he said. “And, sure enough reports of sightings of the vehicle and the 16-year-old were coming in.”
Enriquez said the teenager returned home around 1:00 a.m. MST Sunday with both sisters unharmed. The teen was arrested Sunday morning and the investigation continues.
“We understand she is 16-years-old, but we have other information in the investigation to lead us to believe that the children were in harm.”
Because she is a minor facing criminal charges, KTAR is not identifying the suspect or her sisters.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development