PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies have arrested a 16-year-old girl for allegedly abducting her two younger sisters and sparking a statewide Amber Alert.
“We had information that she was suicidal, she had tried suicide in the past,” Deputy Joaquin Enriquez told KTAR. “Obviously, we have other information to lead us to believe that the two children were in danger at the time.”
Enriquez saod deputies were called to the girl’s home in Buckeye on Saturday where they were told she had stolen her mother’s SUV and taken her eight-year-old and one-year-old sisters. Deputies said they also learned the teen had stopped taking medication for depression. Investigators issued an Amber Alert Saturday night.
“This is a way that we’ve been able to get quick information to the public,” he said. “And, sure enough reports of sightings of the vehicle and the 16-year-old were coming in.”
Enriquez said the teenager returned home around 1:00 a.m. MST Sunday with both sisters unharmed. The teen was arrested Sunday morning and the investigation continues.
“We understand she is 16-years-old, but we have other information in the investigation to lead us to believe that the children were in harm.”
Because she is a minor facing criminal charges, KTAR is not identifying the suspect or her sisters.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.