PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies have arrested a 16-year-old girl for allegedly abducting her two younger sisters and sparking a statewide Amber Alert.
“We had information that she was suicidal, she had tried suicide in the past,” Deputy Joaquin Enriquez told KTAR. “Obviously, we have other information to lead us to believe that the two children were in danger at the time.”
Enriquez saod deputies were called to the girl’s home in Buckeye on Saturday where they were told she had stolen her mother’s SUV and taken her eight-year-old and one-year-old sisters. Deputies said they also learned the teen had stopped taking medication for depression. Investigators issued an Amber Alert Saturday night.
“This is a way that we’ve been able to get quick information to the public,” he said. “And, sure enough reports of sightings of the vehicle and the 16-year-old were coming in.”
Enriquez said the teenager returned home around 1:00 a.m. MST Sunday with both sisters unharmed. The teen was arrested Sunday morning and the investigation continues.
“We understand she is 16-years-old, but we have other information in the investigation to lead us to believe that the children were in harm.”
Because she is a minor facing criminal charges, KTAR is not identifying the suspect or her sisters.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick