A forklift apparently punctured a 300-gallon chemical tank at a biodiesel plant in Gilbert on Saturday, igniting a fire and drawing concern from first responders about the health and safety of the public.
The fire, which is suspected to have flared up around 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, has since been contained, according to the city of Gilbert, whose fire department worked to extinguish the flames.
Crews on scene at a #GilbertAZ Biodiesel manufacturing plant. Fire has been extinguished and the situation has been contained.
— Gilbert Fire Rescue (@GilbertFireDept) November 16, 2013
Gilbert Fire division chief Brian Ruffentine told KTAR that the fluid in the tank was methol alcohol, which is not dangerous though highly flammable.
“It appears a forklift operator accidentally pierced a 300-gallon tank of a product called methol alcohol,” Ruffentine explained.
According to him, the situation at the plant remains active, although the fire has been extinguished.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier