A forklift apparently punctured a 300-gallon chemical tank at a biodiesel plant in Gilbert on Saturday, igniting a fire and drawing concern from first responders about the health and safety of the public.
The fire, which is suspected to have flared up around 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, has since been contained, according to the city of Gilbert, whose fire department worked to extinguish the flames.
Crews on scene at a #GilbertAZ Biodiesel manufacturing plant. Fire has been extinguished and the situation has been contained.
— Gilbert Fire Rescue (@GilbertFireDept) November 16, 2013
Gilbert Fire division chief Brian Ruffentine told KTAR that the fluid in the tank was methol alcohol, which is not dangerous though highly flammable.
“It appears a forklift operator accidentally pierced a 300-gallon tank of a product called methol alcohol,” Ruffentine explained.
According to him, the situation at the plant remains active, although the fire has been extinguished.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments