A forklift apparently punctured a 300-gallon chemical tank at a biodiesel plant in Gilbert on Saturday, igniting a fire and drawing concern from first responders about the health and safety of the public.
The fire, which is suspected to have flared up around 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, has since been contained, according to the city of Gilbert, whose fire department worked to extinguish the flames.
Crews on scene at a #GilbertAZ Biodiesel manufacturing plant. Fire has been extinguished and the situation has been contained.
— Gilbert Fire Rescue (@GilbertFireDept) November 16, 2013
Gilbert Fire division chief Brian Ruffentine told KTAR that the fluid in the tank was methol alcohol, which is not dangerous though highly flammable.
“It appears a forklift operator accidentally pierced a 300-gallon tank of a product called methol alcohol,” Ruffentine explained.
According to him, the situation at the plant remains active, although the fire has been extinguished.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them