A forklift apparently punctured a 300-gallon chemical tank at a biodiesel plant in Gilbert on Saturday, igniting a fire and drawing concern from first responders about the health and safety of the public.
The fire, which is suspected to have flared up around 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, has since been contained, according to the city of Gilbert, whose fire department worked to extinguish the flames.
Crews on scene at a #GilbertAZ Biodiesel manufacturing plant. Fire has been extinguished and the situation has been contained.
— Gilbert Fire Rescue (@GilbertFireDept) November 16, 2013
Gilbert Fire division chief Brian Ruffentine told KTAR that the fluid in the tank was methol alcohol, which is not dangerous though highly flammable.
“It appears a forklift operator accidentally pierced a 300-gallon tank of a product called methol alcohol,” Ruffentine explained.
According to him, the situation at the plant remains active, although the fire has been extinguished.
KTAR’s Cooper Rummell contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes