PHOENIX — Getting your fix of the sentencing phase retrial in the Jodi Arias’ murder case will be a little tougher to come by because of a new ruling.
Judge Sherry Stephens ruled late Thursday to ban the use of electronic devices from the courtroom. The motion to keep out live cameras and recorders came from Arias’ attorneys. Stephens’ ruling said still photography will be allowed, unless a specific witness objects.
The judge also denied a defense motion to have the jury sequestered, saying the estimated two month-plus retrial would create a hardship to jurors in their relationships with family and create a burden on taxpayers.
The live audio and video coverage of Arias’ murder trial and original sentencing phase generated massive audiences on cable television and websites.
In a related move, Stephens also denied a request for a change of venue. Arias’ defense team asserted that the coverage of the trial was so broad and overwhelming that it would be nearly impossible to find an impartial jury in Maricopa County, but Stephens ruled that the county was large enough to find impartial jurors and that a change of venue would create a logistical nightmare for all involved, including taxpayers.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy