PHOENIX — A group of nursing leaders from New Zealand are in the Valley this week, learning how Arizona assesses its nurses.
The New Zealand Council of Nursing traveled to Arizona after hearing about the state’s Innovation Award for 2012. The monthly Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing honored collaborators from the Arizona State Board of Nursing, Arizona State University’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation, and Scottsdale Community College for their work in improving nursing practices.
Their research provides a model that can be used by nursing regulatory boards to evaluate nurses, specifically those who have a history of making mistakes.
“We developed an evidence based and legally defensible process to evaluate competency of nurses,” said Pamela Randolph, associate director of Education and Evidence Based Regulation at the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
Part of the process includes simulations with high-fidelity mannequins, in which a regulatory board can test a nurse on basic skills.
This week, nurses from New Zealand are watching some of the evaluations take place.
“We’re actually seeing, on the ground, some people who are doing it [and] learning from the mistakes along the way,” said Carolyn Reed, chief executive officer and registrar at the New Zealand Council of Nursing.
Reed was joined by educators from two nursing schools in New Zealand, the Manukau Institute of Technology and Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier