PHOENIX — A group of nursing leaders from New Zealand are in the Valley this week, learning how Arizona assesses its nurses.
The New Zealand Council of Nursing traveled to Arizona after hearing about the state’s Innovation Award for 2012. The monthly Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing honored collaborators from the Arizona State Board of Nursing, Arizona State University’s College of Nursing and Health Innovation, and Scottsdale Community College for their work in improving nursing practices.
Their research provides a model that can be used by nursing regulatory boards to evaluate nurses, specifically those who have a history of making mistakes.
“We developed an evidence based and legally defensible process to evaluate competency of nurses,” said Pamela Randolph, associate director of Education and Evidence Based Regulation at the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
Part of the process includes simulations with high-fidelity mannequins, in which a regulatory board can test a nurse on basic skills.
This week, nurses from New Zealand are watching some of the evaluations take place.
“We’re actually seeing, on the ground, some people who are doing it [and] learning from the mistakes along the way,” said Carolyn Reed, chief executive officer and registrar at the New Zealand Council of Nursing.
Reed was joined by educators from two nursing schools in New Zealand, the Manukau Institute of Technology and Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets