PHOENIX — Two motorcyclists killed in an overnight crash in Buckeye worked for the Arizona Department of Corrections, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
John Ollis, 35 and Skye Orozca, 30, were riding on westbound Buckeye Road when they struck the midsection of a semi-truck driven by Carlos Moran. MCSO said Moran was making a left turn onto eastbound Buckeye Road out of a driveway when the collision happened.
It is unknown how fast Ollis, who was wearing a helmet, was driving, but the motorcycle continued about 500 feet down Buckeye Road after the collision. Orozca’s face made a “very detailed imprint” on the trailer. She was not wearing a helmet.
Both bodies were struck multiple times by passing vehicles as Moran attempted to bring traffic to a halt. The bodies were dragged several hundred feet and dismembered.
Ollis and Orozca were both employed at Lewis Prison.
Authorities do not believe alcohol or speed were factors in the crash.
No charges or citations have been issued.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain