PHOENIX — The head of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council blamed Arizona’s congressional delegation for the impending departure of Lockheed Martin from the Valley.
The Maryland-based defense contractor announced Thursday it was closing the doors of its Goodyear plant by early 2015. The facility has about 600 employees.
Barry Broome said that other than Sen. John McCain, the state’s contingent of political leaders in Washington didn’t do enough to fight the sequester of across-the-board government cuts. The defense industry was hit hard by the cuts that went into effect March 1.
“There’s not much GPEC or Goodyear can do when the delegation puts you in an uphill battle,” said Broome, who added he’s spent two years pushing the group on the issue.
The members include Sen. Jeff Flake and Reps. Paul Gosar, David Schweikert, Ed Pastor, Trent Franks and Raul Grijalva.
Lockheed bought the plant from Goodyear Aerospace in 1993.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development