PHOENIX — The head of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council blamed Arizona’s congressional delegation for the impending departure of Lockheed Martin from the Valley.
The Maryland-based defense contractor announced Thursday it was closing the doors of its Goodyear plant by early 2015. The facility has about 600 employees.
Barry Broome said that other than Sen. John McCain, the state’s contingent of political leaders in Washington didn’t do enough to fight the sequester of across-the-board government cuts. The defense industry was hit hard by the cuts that went into effect March 1.
“There’s not much GPEC or Goodyear can do when the delegation puts you in an uphill battle,” said Broome, who added he’s spent two years pushing the group on the issue.
The members include Sen. Jeff Flake and Reps. Paul Gosar, David Schweikert, Ed Pastor, Trent Franks and Raul Grijalva.
Lockheed bought the plant from Goodyear Aerospace in 1993.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them