PHOENIX — The head of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council blamed Arizona’s congressional delegation for the impending departure of Lockheed Martin from the Valley.
The Maryland-based defense contractor announced Thursday it was closing the doors of its Goodyear plant by early 2015. The facility has about 600 employees.
Barry Broome said that other than Sen. John McCain, the state’s contingent of political leaders in Washington didn’t do enough to fight the sequester of across-the-board government cuts. The defense industry was hit hard by the cuts that went into effect March 1.
“There’s not much GPEC or Goodyear can do when the delegation puts you in an uphill battle,” said Broome, who added he’s spent two years pushing the group on the issue.
The members include Sen. Jeff Flake and Reps. Paul Gosar, David Schweikert, Ed Pastor, Trent Franks and Raul Grijalva.
Lockheed bought the plant from Goodyear Aerospace in 1993.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain