PHOENIX — A Mesa man was arrested Thursday after police learned he was allegedly planning to set his wife on fire and murder the couple’s 3-year-old daughter.
Police were alerted to the plan by the roommate of 34-year-old Carlos Hillan, who was planning a copycat murder of one committed in Phoenix Tuesday. In that case, a man murdered his estranged wife, daughter and brother-in-law. His wife’s body was found burning in the backyard.
Police say Hillan’s roommate called them about the plot.
Hillan was found by police at the home of his estranged wife. He was spotted jumping over the back fence and police said he had a gas can and lighter in his possession. He told police he planned to kill both his wife and daughter.
Hillan was booked on two counts of first-degree murder, attempted arson and burglary.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon