PHOENIX — The mayor of the “Gateway to the Grand Canyon” said the town of Tusayan, Ariz. will never fully recover from the closure of the Grand Canyon National Park caused by the partial federal government shutdown.
Mayor Greg Bryan estimates the shutdown cost his community $1.5 million and those dollars aren’t coming back.
“That doesn’t include the concessionaires inside of the park who lost around $6 million to $7 million,” he said. “It’s like produce. When it goes bad, it’s gone.”
But it could have been much worse. The state, Tusayan and private donors came up with funds to keep the canyon open for five days during the 16-day shutdown.
Bryan said his city has been able to refund about $225,000 to private donors but the community is still waiting to be reimbursed by the federal government for $142,000.
Because Congress came up with a temporary solution to the shutdown and not a permanent deal, Bryan is worried about another possible shutdown that’s just two months away.
“Especially since we didn’t believe that it would happen last month,” he said.
On Wednesday, a coalition of Arizona lawmakers wrote a letter to the National Park Service requesting a full refund of the money used to reopen the Grand Canyon.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again