PHOENIX — The mayor of the “Gateway to the Grand Canyon” said the town of Tusayan, Ariz. will never fully recover from the closure of the Grand Canyon National Park caused by the partial federal government shutdown.
Mayor Greg Bryan estimates the shutdown cost his community $1.5 million and those dollars aren’t coming back.
“That doesn’t include the concessionaires inside of the park who lost around $6 million to $7 million,” he said. “It’s like produce. When it goes bad, it’s gone.”
But it could have been much worse. The state, Tusayan and private donors came up with funds to keep the canyon open for five days during the 16-day shutdown.
Bryan said his city has been able to refund about $225,000 to private donors but the community is still waiting to be reimbursed by the federal government for $142,000.
Because Congress came up with a temporary solution to the shutdown and not a permanent deal, Bryan is worried about another possible shutdown that’s just two months away.
“Especially since we didn’t believe that it would happen last month,” he said.
On Wednesday, a coalition of Arizona lawmakers wrote a letter to the National Park Service requesting a full refund of the money used to reopen the Grand Canyon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier