PHOENIX — A report from a data-research group released Thursday showed that immigration prosecutions by the federal government has fallen by almost 22 percent in Arizona.
Arizona, which led in the prosecutions related to border crossings, last year, dropped to third, according to the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University. The Justice Department prosecuted 21,163 in the state.
Crimes included re-entry by deported aliens, fraudulent documents and harboring certain aliens.
According to the report, prosecution numbers increased in New Mexico by 46 percent. The statistics are based on the 94 judicial districts in the country for the fiscal year that ended Oct. 1.
California, Florida and Texas have multiple districts.
The clearinghouse tracks federal government enforcement, spending and staffing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas