PHOENIX — In an effort to prevent residents pouring turkey grease down their drains, the city of Mesa has launched a program to collect the fat.
The city is collecting grease to prevent it from entering its sewage system, where it can cause problems.
“Once the grease starts to congeal, the solid waste behind it will begin to collect and cause blockage, which could lead to sewage backup,” said City of Mesa Water Resources Industrial Pretreatment Supervisor David Gonzalez.
To prevent grease dumping, Mesa will accept grease at 5 fire stations around the city from Thursday until Jan. 13. The grease will be handed over to RevBiodiesel, who will convert it into biodeisel fuel.
The stations accepting grease are below:
Fire Station 204, 1426 S. Extension
Fire Station 205, 730 S. Greenfield
Fire Station 209, 7035 E. Southern
Fire Station 212, 2430 S. Ellsworth
Fire Station 214, 5950 E. Virginia
For more information, click here.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development