PHOENIX — A high-speed car chase through West Valley suburbs Wednesday morning ended with a blown tire and police surrounding an empty house where the suspect was taken into custody.
An unidentified young man was arrested after he left the car and ran into a house near 107th Avenue and Happy Valley Road.
Phoenix Police said the the dark-colored BMW the man had been driving was stolen.
During the hourlong-plus chase, the driver was able to mostly avoid hitting other cars and even golf carts all while zooming through Avondale, Sun City, Sun City West, El Mirage and Surprise.
Authorities in a helicopter tracked the progress of a driver in a BMW as it sped along Dysart Road for several minutes. The chase began near Interstate 10 and Thomas Road, then quickly was on the move through neighborhoods at 127th Avenue and Thomas.
The escape attempt moved out toward El Mirage, with the driver sometimes going against traffic, before making a U-turn.
The route included Greenway Parkway and Loop 303, where the driver came upon traffic and made a right turn around two lanes of traffic.
He tore through a strip mall parking lot at Bell and Litchfield roads, and headed back into traffic, eating up the miles, managing to avoid hitting at least two golf carts on the road despite driving onto the sidewalk to get around traffic near Reems Road and Grand Avenue in Surprise.
After finally blowing a tire and the car came to a stop, the driver got out and ran, struggling to keep his pants up, with police in pursuit.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.