PHOENIX — A high-speed car chase through West Valley suburbs Wednesday morning ended with a blown tire and police surrounding an empty house where the suspect was taken into custody.
An unidentified young man was arrested after he left the car and ran into a house near 107th Avenue and Happy Valley Road.
Phoenix Police said the the dark-colored BMW the man had been driving was stolen.
During the hourlong-plus chase, the driver was able to mostly avoid hitting other cars and even golf carts all while zooming through Avondale, Sun City, Sun City West, El Mirage and Surprise.
Authorities in a helicopter tracked the progress of a driver in a BMW as it sped along Dysart Road for several minutes. The chase began near Interstate 10 and Thomas Road, then quickly was on the move through neighborhoods at 127th Avenue and Thomas.
The escape attempt moved out toward El Mirage, with the driver sometimes going against traffic, before making a U-turn.
The route included Greenway Parkway and Loop 303, where the driver came upon traffic and made a right turn around two lanes of traffic.
He tore through a strip mall parking lot at Bell and Litchfield roads, and headed back into traffic, eating up the miles, managing to avoid hitting at least two golf carts on the road despite driving onto the sidewalk to get around traffic near Reems Road and Grand Avenue in Surprise.
After finally blowing a tire and the car came to a stop, the driver got out and ran, struggling to keep his pants up, with police in pursuit.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night