PHOENIX — A high-speed car chase through West Valley suburbs Wednesday morning ended with a blown tire and police surrounding an empty house where the suspect was taken into custody.
An unidentified young man was arrested after he left the car and ran into a house near 107th Avenue and Happy Valley Road.
Phoenix Police said the the dark-colored BMW the man had been driving was stolen.
During the hourlong-plus chase, the driver was able to mostly avoid hitting other cars and even golf carts all while zooming through Avondale, Sun City, Sun City West, El Mirage and Surprise.
Authorities in a helicopter tracked the progress of a driver in a BMW as it sped along Dysart Road for several minutes. The chase began near Interstate 10 and Thomas Road, then quickly was on the move through neighborhoods at 127th Avenue and Thomas.
The escape attempt moved out toward El Mirage, with the driver sometimes going against traffic, before making a U-turn.
The route included Greenway Parkway and Loop 303, where the driver came upon traffic and made a right turn around two lanes of traffic.
He tore through a strip mall parking lot at Bell and Litchfield roads, and headed back into traffic, eating up the miles, managing to avoid hitting at least two golf carts on the road despite driving onto the sidewalk to get around traffic near Reems Road and Grand Avenue in Surprise.
After finally blowing a tire and the car came to a stop, the driver got out and ran, struggling to keep his pants up, with police in pursuit.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them