PHOENIX — The season’s first snowfall has already come and gone in northern Arizona, but the bulk of winter weather is yet to come and road workers are ready for the challenge.
George Garcia is among the 450 snow plow operators who drives thousands of miles each winter for the Arizona Department of Transportation.
“So far the weather service says expect a normal winter which means I’m going to be busy,” he said.
Garcia has seen just about everything on the open road during the winter but one thing remains constant: crashes, brought on by people driving too fast for the conditions and tailgaters.
Drivers unprepared for the conditions also is a concern.
ADOT spokesman Doug Nintzel said Arizona drivers can leave warm temperatures in the Valley and find themselves driving on ice and snow up north.
“Make sure you have extra blankets, clothing, food, flashlights, water with you. You also need snow tires, tire chains or snow cables,” Nintzel said.
Nintzel said the department spent almost $9 million keeping the roads clear last winter. This year’s budget is between $4 million and $8 million.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns