PHOENIX — The season’s first snowfall has already come and gone in northern Arizona, but the bulk of winter weather is yet to come and road workers are ready for the challenge.
George Garcia is among the 450 snow plow operators who drives thousands of miles each winter for the Arizona Department of Transportation.
“So far the weather service says expect a normal winter which means I’m going to be busy,” he said.
Garcia has seen just about everything on the open road during the winter but one thing remains constant: crashes, brought on by people driving too fast for the conditions and tailgaters.
Drivers unprepared for the conditions also is a concern.
ADOT spokesman Doug Nintzel said Arizona drivers can leave warm temperatures in the Valley and find themselves driving on ice and snow up north.
“Make sure you have extra blankets, clothing, food, flashlights, water with you. You also need snow tires, tire chains or snow cables,” Nintzel said.
Nintzel said the department spent almost $9 million keeping the roads clear last winter. This year’s budget is between $4 million and $8 million.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night