PHOENIX — A Valley economist is concerned that Phoenix Sky Harbor could be left in the cold after US Airways and American Airlines complete a merger.
American and US Air have agreed to keep Sky Harbor as a hub for the new giant airline for three years as part of the potential merger. But economist Elliott Pollack questioned whether Phoenix will remain a hub beyond the guaranteed three years.
“American has hubs in Dallas and Los Angeles and you wouldn’t need three hubs this close together so it will be interesting to see what happens,” he said. “We’re going to be here more than three years so to guarantee a three-year hub status for Sky Harbor doesn’t really help.”
If Sky Harbor loses hub status, Pollack said that would mean fewer flights in and out of Phoenix, fewer non-stop flights and not as much competition.
Pollack said the airline merger is great for US Airways and bad for the greater Phoenix economy, especially Tempe because the airline headquarters will move to Dallas and take hundreds of jobs to Texas.
“The local economy should be strong enough to absorb it.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development