PHOENIX — The Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and other agencies will test out 50 outdoor warning sirens in the far West Valley on Wednesday.
If you’re among the 15,000 people who live within a 10-mile radius of Palo Verde or will be driving on Interstate 10 in that area at noon or 12:30, you won’t miss the sound of dozens of warning sirens going off at about 100 decibels.
“It’s definitely going to be loud,” said Pete Weaver with the Maricopa County Division of Emergency Management. “Definitely will hurt your ears.”
Weaver said the sirens will be loud enough that drivers on I-10 hear them so the Arizona Department of Transportation will post signs informing them of the test.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and the Arizona Department of Public Safety are part of the drill, along with ham radio operators.
“The volunteers from the West Valley Amateur Radio Club, Tri-City Amateur Radio Club and other ham radio operators will be stationed at each siren and immediately report the siren activation to emergency managers,” Weaver said.
Weaver said these sirens and systems would work in the event that the Internet went down during an emergency.
“We are so technology minded these days,” he said. “If everything is based around the new technology and if they fail, we wouldn’t have these alert systems. These sirens are systems that are tested and true and have weathered the years.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever