PHOENIX — The Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station and other agencies will test out 50 outdoor warning sirens in the far West Valley on Wednesday.
If you’re among the 15,000 people who live within a 10-mile radius of Palo Verde or will be driving on Interstate 10 in that area at noon or 12:30, you won’t miss the sound of dozens of warning sirens going off at about 100 decibels.
“It’s definitely going to be loud,” said Pete Weaver with the Maricopa County Division of Emergency Management. “Definitely will hurt your ears.”
Weaver said the sirens will be loud enough that drivers on I-10 hear them so the Arizona Department of Transportation will post signs informing them of the test.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office and the Arizona Department of Public Safety are part of the drill, along with ham radio operators.
“The volunteers from the West Valley Amateur Radio Club, Tri-City Amateur Radio Club and other ham radio operators will be stationed at each siren and immediately report the siren activation to emergency managers,” Weaver said.
Weaver said these sirens and systems would work in the event that the Internet went down during an emergency.
“We are so technology minded these days,” he said. “If everything is based around the new technology and if they fail, we wouldn’t have these alert systems. These sirens are systems that are tested and true and have weathered the years.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets