MESA, Ariz. — $2 per day.
That’s what 20 Arizona State University students will be living on for the next three days.
They’ll also be sleeping in cardboard boxes to discover what it’s like to be to be poor. They will be doing it front of the Student Union building at ASU’s Polytechnic campus in Mesa.
“Since 45 percent of the world lives on less than $2 a day, ASU students decided to join them and see how it feels,” said Mentor Deeda, an ASU student from Kosovo.
Deeda said students have to earn the $2 themselves by cleaning dorm rooms, washing cars or taking donations. They also want people to drop off their old shoes.
“For every pound that we get, we get like a dollar,” Deeda said.
A group called Esperanca will give them the dollar for the shoes. The footwear will then be donated to the poor.
“We hope we get a lot of donations from students,” said Deeda.
The 20 students will all pool their money so that they will have $40 a day to live off of as a group. Deeda isn’t thrilled with what they can eat.
“We have two meals a day, but the same meals like beans and tortillas, which I’m not looking forward to,” he said.
Since fires are not allowed on the campus, the group will cook the meals in the student union’s kitchen.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains