MESA, Ariz. — $2 per day.
That’s what 20 Arizona State University students will be living on for the next three days.
They’ll also be sleeping in cardboard boxes to discover what it’s like to be to be poor. They will be doing it front of the Student Union building at ASU’s Polytechnic campus in Mesa.
“Since 45 percent of the world lives on less than $2 a day, ASU students decided to join them and see how it feels,” said Mentor Deeda, an ASU student from Kosovo.
Deeda said students have to earn the $2 themselves by cleaning dorm rooms, washing cars or taking donations. They also want people to drop off their old shoes.
“For every pound that we get, we get like a dollar,” Deeda said.
A group called Esperanca will give them the dollar for the shoes. The footwear will then be donated to the poor.
“We hope we get a lot of donations from students,” said Deeda.
The 20 students will all pool their money so that they will have $40 a day to live off of as a group. Deeda isn’t thrilled with what they can eat.
“We have two meals a day, but the same meals like beans and tortillas, which I’m not looking forward to,” he said.
Since fires are not allowed on the campus, the group will cook the meals in the student union’s kitchen.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them