PHOENIX — Five people from La Jolla High School in Avondale were treated for burns Tuesday after a science experiment went wrong, a fire official said.
“We were told an experiment had involved an ignition source,” said Avondale Fire Department Deputy Chief Ron Deadman. “But when the ignitio source went off, it had a bigger effect than planned and caught another chemical on fire temporarily which caused the burns.”
The victims are aged 29, 18, 17, 16 and 15. Deadman said the eldest victim was reportedly a teacher and leader of an after-school science program.
Two of the three hospitalized are seniors and the other student is a sophomore. Their names
haven’t been released yet.
Phoenix TV station KTVK reports that the students suffered some burns on their
faces and hands but the extent of the injuries isn’t immediately known.
Avondale Fire Department officials say the three were taken to a burn unit for
The chemicals involved are unknown.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy