PHOENIX — Five people from La Jolla High School in Avondale were treated for burns Tuesday after a science experiment went wrong, a fire official said.
“We were told an experiment had involved an ignition source,” said Avondale Fire Department Deputy Chief Ron Deadman. “But when the ignitio source went off, it had a bigger effect than planned and caught another chemical on fire temporarily which caused the burns.”
The victims are aged 29, 18, 17, 16 and 15. Deadman said the eldest victim was reportedly a teacher and leader of an after-school science program.
Two of the three hospitalized are seniors and the other student is a sophomore. Their names
haven’t been released yet.
Phoenix TV station KTVK reports that the students suffered some burns on their
faces and hands but the extent of the injuries isn’t immediately known.
Avondale Fire Department officials say the three were taken to a burn unit for
The chemicals involved are unknown.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths