PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne is satisfied with the settlement reached Tuesday that will allow the merger between US Airways and American Airlines.
The compromise ensured that Phoenix would remain a hub for the new airline for at least three years and ended a lawsuit to block the merger filed in August by the Department of Justice, Arizona and five other states.
The suit said that the joining of the airlines would limit competition and result in higher airfares and less service.
A trial was scheduled to start later this month.
“I was concerned that the merger could result in the loss of the hub, a major loss of jobs and business,” Horne said. “In past experiences the hubs disappear in mergers. That was among the concerns but now we have a legally binding document to make sure Phoenix is maintained as a hub.”
Phoenix will remain a hub for at least three years. US Air is based in Tempe.
Horne said the settlement preserves competition in the airline industry and will allow low-cost carriers to expand service to more cities nationwide.
“This combo of American and US Airways will be able to compete better with the two largest carriers, Delta and United,” Horne said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night