PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne is satisfied with the settlement reached Tuesday that will allow the merger between US Airways and American Airlines.
The compromise ensured that Phoenix would remain a hub for the new airline for at least three years and ended a lawsuit to block the merger filed in August by the Department of Justice, Arizona and five other states.
The suit said that the joining of the airlines would limit competition and result in higher airfares and less service.
A trial was scheduled to start later this month.
“I was concerned that the merger could result in the loss of the hub, a major loss of jobs and business,” Horne said. “In past experiences the hubs disappear in mergers. That was among the concerns but now we have a legally binding document to make sure Phoenix is maintained as a hub.”
Phoenix will remain a hub for at least three years. US Air is based in Tempe.
Horne said the settlement preserves competition in the airline industry and will allow low-cost carriers to expand service to more cities nationwide.
“This combo of American and US Airways will be able to compete better with the two largest carriers, Delta and United,” Horne said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns