PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne is satisfied with the settlement reached Tuesday that will allow the merger between US Airways and American Airlines.
The compromise ensured that Phoenix would remain a hub for the new airline for at least three years and ended a lawsuit to block the merger filed in August by the Department of Justice, Arizona and five other states.
The suit said that the joining of the airlines would limit competition and result in higher airfares and less service.
A trial was scheduled to start later this month.
“I was concerned that the merger could result in the loss of the hub, a major loss of jobs and business,” Horne said. “In past experiences the hubs disappear in mergers. That was among the concerns but now we have a legally binding document to make sure Phoenix is maintained as a hub.”
Phoenix will remain a hub for at least three years. US Air is based in Tempe.
Horne said the settlement preserves competition in the airline industry and will allow low-cost carriers to expand service to more cities nationwide.
“This combo of American and US Airways will be able to compete better with the two largest carriers, Delta and United,” Horne said.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy