CAVE CREEK, Ariz. — After years of baking sweet treats for family and friends, Shana Fischer teamed up with a business partner and decided to launch Brilliant Sky Bakery last year.
But, she couldn’t just turn on the oven and start baking.
“It was pretty difficult,” Fischer said. “There are a lot of steps to take, and there should be because you’re talking about public consumption.”
Fischer and her partner, Melissa Thompson, had to form a limited liability company and get food handlers cards before the city could issue them a permit to run a bakery out of their kitchen.
Customers place their orders online, and Brilliant Sky ships across the country and delivers in the Phoenix metro area.
“This is our favorite time of year,” Fischer said. “We do a lot of business with PR firms and advertising agencies who want to send holiday gifts.”
But, there are some customers that Brilliant Sky Bakery cannot reach. A standing Maricopa County code bans private home bakeries from selling their products to retailers like grocery stores, coffee shops and restaurants.
The county health board is now considering allowing people to sell homemade goods to retailers, but only if they do not use their home kitchens and instead set up a separate cooking area in their homes. The idea is to allow small businesses to sell their products without the expense of a full commercial kitchen, but Fischer said she’s not sold on the idea.
“If I were to have to do that, it doesn’t necessarily mean I’d get a return on the investment,” she said. “Just because you build something doesn’t mean people will come to it.”
For now, she continues to fulfill holiday orders.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development