CAVE CREEK, Ariz. — After years of baking sweet treats for family and friends, Shana Fischer teamed up with a business partner and decided to launch Brilliant Sky Bakery last year.
But, she couldn’t just turn on the oven and start baking.
“It was pretty difficult,” Fischer said. “There are a lot of steps to take, and there should be because you’re talking about public consumption.”
Fischer and her partner, Melissa Thompson, had to form a limited liability company and get food handlers cards before the city could issue them a permit to run a bakery out of their kitchen.
Customers place their orders online, and Brilliant Sky ships across the country and delivers in the Phoenix metro area.
“This is our favorite time of year,” Fischer said. “We do a lot of business with PR firms and advertising agencies who want to send holiday gifts.”
But, there are some customers that Brilliant Sky Bakery cannot reach. A standing Maricopa County code bans private home bakeries from selling their products to retailers like grocery stores, coffee shops and restaurants.
The county health board is now considering allowing people to sell homemade goods to retailers, but only if they do not use their home kitchens and instead set up a separate cooking area in their homes. The idea is to allow small businesses to sell their products without the expense of a full commercial kitchen, but Fischer said she’s not sold on the idea.
“If I were to have to do that, it doesn’t necessarily mean I’d get a return on the investment,” she said. “Just because you build something doesn’t mean people will come to it.”
For now, she continues to fulfill holiday orders.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food