PHOENIX — Crystal Reidy knows all too well what it’s like going to bed hungry. She grew up in and out of homelessness before joining the National Guard in her senior year of high school.
Through her military service, Reidy received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees and is currently working on her doctorate.
That success is the reason she organized the “Veterans Serving Veterans” dinner at the Phoenix Rescue Mission.
“It’s really my way of paying back the veterans who helped me break that homeless cycle,” said Reidy.
Each Veterans Day, Reidy works with active duty military members from the 123rd Mobile Public Affairs Detachment with the Arizona National Guard. Together, they cook and serve meals to about 90 homeless veterans.
The veterans all received a patriotic ribbon as they entered the dining area Monday. The event was all about remembering and serving those who served before her, said Reidy.
“We have a saying: ‘You never leave a man behind,'” she said. “This is us making sure that when we’re off the battlefield, we’re still not leaving that man behind.”
Veterans account for 13 percent of the adult homeless population in the state, according to the Department of Economic Security. Nearly 1 in 5 returning soldiers has experienced serious trauma, leaving them with lifelong trauma that often leads to homelessness.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets