PHOENIX — Two Arizona cities have been ranked in the top 15 in the nation for people who are 35 or younger.
The data journalism company Voactiv looked at the 50 most populous cities, weighed certain economic and lifestyle factors that are important to adults between 18 and 35, and then produced a “livability index” of the top 35 cities in the U.S. for that age group.
Phoenix and Tucson placed high on the list.
Phoenix came in at No. 10 on the index. Voactiv had this to say about Arizona’s capital city:
Don’t worry about the heat, everything’s air-conditioned in Arizona. Phoenix has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 20 years, and this very large, very diverse city is home to a respectable arts scene and some killer Mexican food. Rent is basically a bargain, averaging $800 for a 2-bedroom. It’s also one of the youngest cities on the index, with an average age of just 31.8. Must be all that dry air.
Voactiv also found that Phoenix is one of the top five cities on the list that have the lowest average cost of food and beverage.
Tucson came in four spots behind Phoenix at No. 14. Voactiv said this:
Home to the University of Arizona, Tucson is much more than a college town, yet it still has all of the benefits, including crazy cheap rent, takeout, beer and pot. Though the job market here is a bit rougher than in Phoenix, there are major quality-of-life advantages, like less traffic and better public transportation.
The top five cities on the list, in order, are Portland, Austin, San Francisco, Seattle and Minneapolis.
Click here to see the full list.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains