PHOENIX — Some criminals in Phoenix may soon be given ankle bracelets equipped with Global Positioning System software that would allow authorities to keep a closer eye on them.
The Phoenix City Prosecutor’s Office has been researching how courts across the country use monitoring devices on domestic violence abusers.
Currently, Maricopa County Superior Court installs ankle bracelets to track high-risk offenders and Phoenix Municipal Court is exploring options.
According to a city council report, 60 percent of domestic violence abusers violate orders to stay away from victims within 12 months. GPS is used to track offenders’ movements and to alert victim if they are getting close. When a court requires an offender to wear a GPS ankle bracelet, the vendor monitors the offender’s location and notifies the victim and law enforcement, if needed.
The city report said location points are gathered every minute and relayed to a monitoring center every tenth minute. Restriction zones, like schools, workplaces and homes, can be programmed into the system. In Connecticut, a victim can also carry a GPS device and be notified if an offender is nearby.
Members of the Phoenix Public Safety Subcommittee will discuss the GPS report and options when they meet on Wednesday morning at City Hall.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets