The return to normalcy for the Phoenix real estate market seemed to remove a significant deterrent for those looking to buy a home in the Valley.
Phoenix has recently been classified as a “balanced market,” meaning there is no significant advantage for sellers or buyers in a typical real estate negotiation. However, these improving market conditions have not brought back what many analysts were expecting: more homebuyers.
“The big question is why is (buyer) demand low right now,” said Arizona State University Director of Real Estate Michael Orr on his weekly appearance on That Real Estate Show. “I’d like to know the answer to that. It’s causing me to scratch my head right now, because (buyer) demand was perfectly normal just three months ago.”
Just like three months ago, Phoenix home prices have continued to rise. According to a report released by Orr and the W.P. Carey School of Business at ASU, the median home price in Phoenix rose from $192,000 in August to $199,000 in September. Orr expects these increases to continue over the next few months.
“Everyone’s got to remember that prices are a trailing indicator, so even when the market is balanced, prices will continue to go on rising for probably four, five or six months.”
Orr also contended that these home price increases are far less of a concern for the Phoenix real estate market in the year ahead.
“Demand is the thing that I would like to see improving if the market is going to be healthy next year,” he said. “The issue at the moment is a lack of buyers. It’s a shortage of buyer demand, which is unusual.”
Unusual has been the norm in Phoenix real estate in recent years, and expecting the unexpected seems to be the only projection worth counting on.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development