PHOENIX — The Phoenix Fire Department will recognize four men Monday for pulling a woman from her burning apartment last month.
Manuel Soto was waiting for a ride to work Oct. 22, when he saw flames rising from an apartment unit near Southern and Central avenues. Patricia Ferrel, 68, was trapped inside.
With assistance from Edward Valenzuela, Anthony Fritz, and Roscoe Young II, the men forced open a metal security door and pulled Ferrel onto a balcony, said Capt. Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire Department.
Ferrel later died from her injuries, Mure said, but that doesn’t diminish what the men did.
“It’s very rare nowadays that we have anybody that steps into action to help,” said Mure.
To show their appreciation for the men’s courageous actions, firefighters will hold a special recognition ceremony at Fire Station No. 22, the station closest to Ferrel’s apartment complex.
The four men will each receive a citizen’s award in a ceremony that starts at 9 a.m. at the station at 230 E. Roeser Road.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food