PHOENIX — The Phoenix Fire Department will recognize four men Monday for pulling a woman from her burning apartment last month.
Manuel Soto was waiting for a ride to work Oct. 22, when he saw flames rising from an apartment unit near Southern and Central avenues. Patricia Ferrel, 68, was trapped inside.
With assistance from Edward Valenzuela, Anthony Fritz, and Roscoe Young II, the men forced open a metal security door and pulled Ferrel onto a balcony, said Capt. Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire Department.
Ferrel later died from her injuries, Mure said, but that doesn’t diminish what the men did.
“It’s very rare nowadays that we have anybody that steps into action to help,” said Mure.
To show their appreciation for the men’s courageous actions, firefighters will hold a special recognition ceremony at Fire Station No. 22, the station closest to Ferrel’s apartment complex.
The four men will each receive a citizen’s award in a ceremony that starts at 9 a.m. at the station at 230 E. Roeser Road.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life