In a joint press release on Friday, Mayor Greg Stanton and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., have announced that chronic homelessness among war veterans in Phoenix has decreased by 62 percent.
“I’m proud that Phoenix is taking the lead and it will be the first city in America to eradicate the homeless veterans issue,” Sen. John McCain said Monday at an event.
Earlier last week, a local official estimated that 1 in 5 homeless people in Phoenix are veterans.
“It’s not right to have anybody who served this nation living on the streets,” said Mike McQuaid with the Human Services Campus.
McQuaid went on to remark that “we will end chronic homelessness in Phoenix within the next 12 months.”
Plan H3: VETS hopes to make that happen, as the community collaboration is largely responsible for the 62 percent decline.
Over the last two years, Project H3 VETS has successfully housed 161 veterans. A recent street survey identified 56 vets that remain unsheltered.
The project’s current goal is to give these men and women a place to stay by the end of the year. They will be placed in permanent dwellings by Statehood Day 2014 and will work with an employment service and receive mental health support, if needed.
The project was coordinated by the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness (AZCEH) in November 2011 with the focus of curtailing the homelessness epidemic among local war veterans.
Stanton has repeatedly pledged that Phoenix will be among the first cities in the country to end homelessness among veterans, and Phoenix is in a friendly competition with Salt Lake City to be the first city in the U.S. to accomplish the feat.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas