PHOENIX — Phoenix firefighters are undergoing several hours of training to learn new techniques when responding to a crisis situation involving veterans with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
“We are training firefighters to more adequately deal with some of our vets that are having spiritual, mental or physical challenges as they return from wartime activity,” said Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer. “How we typically march into a location to stabilize the situation, sometimes for these individuals that are struggling emotionally, might not be the best practice.”
While veterans might often feel closer to first responders than any other segment of society, those with PTSD might feel overwhelmed if they are crowded by EMTs or asked too many questions.
The training focuses on how to identify the level of stress of a patient and to modify behavior in order to render aid and providing resources for follow-up care.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development