What started out as a normal day for Mike Olbinski, a Phoenix-based photographer, quickly turned into a dream come true after he got an email from Marvel Studios.
It took a while to sink in, but Olbinski soon realized the studio wanted to use some of his footage in an upcoming movie.
Olbinski owns a photography company in Phoenix and captures many different types of stunning imagery, including weddings, portraits and families, to name a few.
But Marvel wasn’t looking for the perfect bride and groom to feature in their epic superhero movie. Marvel wanted something dark, and Olbinski seemingly had the perfect match. It was his Brooker supercell footage, an eery time-lapse of a storm he shot in Brooker, Texas.
Comic book movies are some of his favorites, so he couldn’t believe what was happening. It wasn’t until a few emails later that Marvel revealed which movie his footage would be in — “Thor 2″ The Dark World” — and he recently expressed his excitement in a blog post.
I nearly fell over. I mean…from the first moment I got an email from someone at Marvel I was freaking out. But once they confirmed it was for a major motion picture and that it happened to be Thor 2…I was flabbergasted.
Olbinski explained that he could only reveal the news to close friends and family. But keeping quiet was OK with him, because there was still a chance the footage wouldn’t make the final cut.
It wasn’t until early November, about a week before the film released in theaters, when he got final word from the studio that he made it.
I gathered some buddies together, shared the news with them beforehand and we arrived at Tempe Marketplace to watch it on the big Cine Capri screen. Joining me was Andy Hoeland, the guy who chased this storm with me and got us in position to actually film the thing.
Olbinski said he’s humbled to have his name in the closing credits of a blockbuster film. But being able to one day share the story with his kids and future grandkids is what he really looks forward to.
Check out the original footage below. Look out for Olbinski’s big scene in “Thor: The Dark World,” which is open in theaters nationwide.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match