PHOENIX — The Tempe City Council has voted to pump another $24 million into a dam project at Town Lake that is expected to be completed in 2015.
The move was approved during Thursday night’s meeting. In September, the council OK’d $12 million to get the dam to the lake.
Nikki Ripley, a spokeswoman for the City of Tempe, said the steel dam should be completed by late 2015.
“It’s steel and concrete. These steel panels will make up what we believe will be the largest steel dam of its type in the world,” Ripley said.
The steel dam will replace the rubber bladder system that holds the water in the lake. The rubber dam burst three years ago, sending almost a billion gallons of water into the usually dry Salt River.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier