This is a big weekend of racing coming up at Phoenix International Raceway.
Three days of racing starts today with the Lucas Oil 150 truck series race. Things really pick up tomorrow.
“Saturday, we’ve got a double header of races,” said Zach Emmons, the communications director for PIR. “They start at 2 p.m. with the Servicemaster 200, followed by the Casino Arizona 50. Sunday is the big day with the Advocare 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup series. It’s the semifinal of the chase for the champion of the Sprint Cup. It should be a great day out here.”
Emmons says there will be live entertainment throughout the weekend, with a couple of acts set to play on Sunday.
“Fuel, one of the most popular rock bands of the past few years, is playing at the Budweiser Roll-bar stage,” Emmons said. (Country singer) Steven Cochran will play a pre-race concert right there on the track. It’s the first time we’ve ever done that in PIR’s history.”
A crowd of 80,000 is expected for Sunday’s race. Thousands of people are already camped out in their trailers and RVs at the track. They need a place to go grocery shopping, and PIR has it.
“Safeway has actually stepped up to the plate and produced a grocery store on site,” Emmons said. “It’s about 17,000 square feet when you count the whole shopping space, and they’ve got everything that our fans could need.”
Safeway is taking over the space that used to be a Bashas’ store.
Grandstand seats are sold out for Sunday’s race, but there are tickets still available. Click here for more information.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier