PHOENIX — The man known as the father of the Granite Mountain Hotshots said it’s going to be tough knowing his hotshots won’t be home for the holidays.
Prescott Wildland Fire Division Chief Darrell Willis started the Granite Mountain Hotshots in 2001 and on June 30, 19 of the teams 20 members died when the Yarnell Hill Fire overtook them after a dramatic shift in the wind direction in a canyon in Yarnell.
Willis said the toughest days are still ahead.
“We’re starting to heal. There has been a lot of activity and tremendous support for the families internationally and the reality is starting to hit us even harder with the holidays here. I had these guys over to my house for dinner. I knew them, their wives and kids, one of Granite Mountain team members dated my daughter. My son was on the team in 2007.”
Willis responded to a question that has been asked many times since the tragedy on June 30: Will the Granite Mountain Hotshots be reformed with new team members?
“No, right now no,” he said. “It’s very complicated with the workman’s comp, the insurance pool. The city is expecting a huge payout for the life of the families for workman comp benefits and the premiums are going to be high.”
And even though Willis doesn’t believe that the Granite Mountain team will ever be brought back with new members, that doesn’t mean the rebuilding isn’t underway.
“I’m pulling together a fuels crew to do some work made up of seasonal Prescott National Forest hotshots to help us do work this winter around town,” he said. “There’s plenty of work to do.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier