PHOENIX — Arizona police and firefighters who died in the past year were honored Thursday morning at a Blue Mass at St. Simon and Jude Cathedral in Phoenix.
The names of all of those who died were read, including those of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill fire. Daryl Michael Raetz was one of the names that was read.
“Officer Daryl Raites was a Phoenix Police officer who proudly served in the Maryvale Precinct. He gave his life in the line of duty on May 19, 2013,” said Phoenix Police Commander Michael Kirtenbach, who read Raites’ name during ceremony.
Raetz, 29, was was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident. Jesus Cabrera Molina, 24, was charged with manslaughter in his death.
An honor guard with bagpipes was part of the ceremony. Phoenix Deputy Fire Chief Chris Ketterer said the annual mass is always meaningful to him, especially when he starts hearing those bagpipes.
“When I hear the pipes and drums, I’m really moved,” he said. “It sort of takes me to a special place where I can focus on the people that make the department special. Those are the people that have given, forgive the term, the ultimate sacrifice.”
During the service, Bishop Thomas Olmstead, head of the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix, prayed for Arizona officers and firefighters, asking God to “Keep danger far away from them.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier