PHOENIX — Arizona police and firefighters who died in the past year were honored Thursday morning at a Blue Mass at St. Simon and Jude Cathedral in Phoenix.
The names of all of those who died were read, including those of the 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters who were killed battling the Yarnell Hill fire. Daryl Michael Raetz was one of the names that was read.
“Officer Daryl Raites was a Phoenix Police officer who proudly served in the Maryvale Precinct. He gave his life in the line of duty on May 19, 2013,” said Phoenix Police Commander Michael Kirtenbach, who read Raites’ name during ceremony.
Raetz, 29, was was struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident. Jesus Cabrera Molina, 24, was charged with manslaughter in his death.
An honor guard with bagpipes was part of the ceremony. Phoenix Deputy Fire Chief Chris Ketterer said the annual mass is always meaningful to him, especially when he starts hearing those bagpipes.
“When I hear the pipes and drums, I’m really moved,” he said. “It sort of takes me to a special place where I can focus on the people that make the department special. Those are the people that have given, forgive the term, the ultimate sacrifice.”
During the service, Bishop Thomas Olmstead, head of the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix, prayed for Arizona officers and firefighters, asking God to “Keep danger far away from them.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night