PHOENIX — A California inventor was in the Valley Thursday with his new product that could potentially save firefighter’s lives.
Jim Moseley created the Sunseeker Fire Blanket, which can withstand heat up to 2,500 degrees. He said it’s more effective than current foil fire shelters, like the ones used by the Granite Mountain Hotshots, which can start to burn up in 500 degree heat.
“Once the flame is directly on the firefighter, it immediately starts to disintegrate the outer foil covering, and that’s pretty much it,” he said.
Moseley, who used to work in aerospace, said his fire blanket has some of the same technology used in the NASA space program.
“It’s a wool-based, ceramic-fiber product. It’s been around for years,” he said.
Moseley showed the product to different fire departments around the Valley. His goal is to have the blanket ready for use during the next wildfire season.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America