PHOENIX — A California inventor was in the Valley Thursday with his new product that could potentially save firefighter’s lives.
Jim Moseley created the Sunseeker Fire Blanket, which can withstand heat up to 2,500 degrees. He said it’s more effective than current foil fire shelters, like the ones used by the Granite Mountain Hotshots, which can start to burn up in 500 degree heat.
“Once the flame is directly on the firefighter, it immediately starts to disintegrate the outer foil covering, and that’s pretty much it,” he said.
Moseley, who used to work in aerospace, said his fire blanket has some of the same technology used in the NASA space program.
“It’s a wool-based, ceramic-fiber product. It’s been around for years,” he said.
Moseley showed the product to different fire departments around the Valley. His goal is to have the blanket ready for use during the next wildfire season.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments