PHOENIX — A California inventor was in the Valley Thursday with his new product that could potentially save firefighter’s lives.
Jim Moseley created the Sunseeker Fire Blanket, which can withstand heat up to 2,500 degrees. He said it’s more effective than current foil fire shelters, like the ones used by the Granite Mountain Hotshots, which can start to burn up in 500 degree heat.
“Once the flame is directly on the firefighter, it immediately starts to disintegrate the outer foil covering, and that’s pretty much it,” he said.
Moseley, who used to work in aerospace, said his fire blanket has some of the same technology used in the NASA space program.
“It’s a wool-based, ceramic-fiber product. It’s been around for years,” he said.
Moseley showed the product to different fire departments around the Valley. His goal is to have the blanket ready for use during the next wildfire season.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food