Over the next week-and-a-half KTAR will be introducing and profiling the Grand Marshals for this year’s Veterans Day Parade in Phoenix.
PHOENIX — Mary Ellen Kenworthey’s military interest was evident in high school. She was always drawn to the Air Force recruiting events, but spent a year as a nurse’s aide before enlisting.
“I knew I wanted to be in the military as a nurse,” Kenworthey said. “I had read stories and always been interested in history and read about military nurses.
“The nurses I respected had backgrounds as military nurses. They were excellent.”
Kenworthey enlisted in the late 70s and was assigned to Andrews Air Force Base.
“Working in a major medical center was very enjoyable,” she said. “I learned a lot and really enjoyed working the labor and delivery area which is where I started feeling women’s health was my area of expertise.”
She’s using that expertise as a nurse practitioner at Mountain Park Health Center in Phoenix.
“Everybody has different moments where you’re explaining something to a patient and they understand it in whatever way you can communicate that and it helps them,” Kenworthey explained.
As a grand marshal for the Phoenix Veterans Day Parade, Kenworthey will represent military nurses and all veterans from the Cold War Era, which is 1945-1991.
“I’m really honored to be among this group, “she said. “Everybody, I think, knows someone whether a relative, friend, grandfather or grandmother who served and I hope people would come and pay respects to those who served.”
Kenworthey says her Marine father served stateside from 1945-55. One uncle was an Army and Air Force combat pilot during World War II while another was a Marine combat veteran in the Korean War.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development