Over the next week-and-a-half KTAR will be introducing and profiling the Grand Marshals for this year’s Veterans Day Parade in Phoenix.
PHOENIX — Mary Ellen Kenworthey’s military interest was evident in high school. She was always drawn to the Air Force recruiting events, but spent a year as a nurse’s aide before enlisting.
“I knew I wanted to be in the military as a nurse,” Kenworthey said. “I had read stories and always been interested in history and read about military nurses.
“The nurses I respected had backgrounds as military nurses. They were excellent.”
Kenworthey enlisted in the late 70s and was assigned to Andrews Air Force Base.
“Working in a major medical center was very enjoyable,” she said. “I learned a lot and really enjoyed working the labor and delivery area which is where I started feeling women’s health was my area of expertise.”
She’s using that expertise as a nurse practitioner at Mountain Park Health Center in Phoenix.
“Everybody has different moments where you’re explaining something to a patient and they understand it in whatever way you can communicate that and it helps them,” Kenworthey explained.
As a grand marshal for the Phoenix Veterans Day Parade, Kenworthey will represent military nurses and all veterans from the Cold War Era, which is 1945-1991.
“I’m really honored to be among this group, “she said. “Everybody, I think, knows someone whether a relative, friend, grandfather or grandmother who served and I hope people would come and pay respects to those who served.”
Kenworthey says her Marine father served stateside from 1945-55. One uncle was an Army and Air Force combat pilot during World War II while another was a Marine combat veteran in the Korean War.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets