Thousands of American veterans have taken their own lives, and one expert says the U.S. government is at least partly to blame.
Government data says that the suicide rate for veterans jumped 2.6 percent each year from 2005 to 2011. One out of every five U.S. suicides involves a veteran.
A 2012 Veterans Affairs study revealed that 8,000 veterans commit suicide every year, which equates to about 22 suicides per day.
“Veterans Today” Senior Editor Gordon Duff said part of the reason is that today’s volunteer military attracts people with a lower socioeconomic background who are feeling the strains of military life.
“We’re sending them to war year after year after year, while their families fall apart and their jobs go away,” said Duff.
Duff said that many veterans live in hopelessness with no feeling of community. He said the U.S. government is not doing enough to stop veterans from killing themselves.
“It [suicide] is accepted. For the most part, we simply turn away and let it happen,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.