PHOENIX — In 2013, wildfires burned less than half the acreage they burned in 2012 across the nation.
“In some cases it is as simple as we didn’t get a start that we couldn’t rapidly get to,” said Clay Templin, head of an elite Tonto National Forest incident management team on why less acreage was burned.
While Templin’s team helped contain some of the largest fires in the country, including the Yarnell Hill Fire that claimed the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots, he gave credit to the public for sparking fewer blazes.
“People are paying closer attention to the conditions and helping us out,” he said, adding that about 10,000 less fires were reported in 2013 than 2012.
Templin sayid the severity of 2014’s wildfires depends on conditions this winter.
“If the drought continues and we have a weak winter with little rain and snowfall, we could certainly be back into another bad situation next year,” he said.
It cost the United States about $2 billion dollars to fight fires in 2012. The costs for 2013 have not been finalized but Templin said the cost will top $1 billion.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas