PHOENIX — In 2013, wildfires burned less than half the acreage they burned in 2012 across the nation.
“In some cases it is as simple as we didn’t get a start that we couldn’t rapidly get to,” said Clay Templin, head of an elite Tonto National Forest incident management team on why less acreage was burned.
While Templin’s team helped contain some of the largest fires in the country, including the Yarnell Hill Fire that claimed the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots, he gave credit to the public for sparking fewer blazes.
“People are paying closer attention to the conditions and helping us out,” he said, adding that about 10,000 less fires were reported in 2013 than 2012.
Templin sayid the severity of 2014’s wildfires depends on conditions this winter.
“If the drought continues and we have a weak winter with little rain and snowfall, we could certainly be back into another bad situation next year,” he said.
It cost the United States about $2 billion dollars to fight fires in 2012. The costs for 2013 have not been finalized but Templin said the cost will top $1 billion.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development