PHOENIX — In 2013, wildfires burned less than half the acreage they burned in 2012 across the nation.
“In some cases it is as simple as we didn’t get a start that we couldn’t rapidly get to,” said Clay Templin, head of an elite Tonto National Forest incident management team on why less acreage was burned.
While Templin’s team helped contain some of the largest fires in the country, including the Yarnell Hill Fire that claimed the lives of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots, he gave credit to the public for sparking fewer blazes.
“People are paying closer attention to the conditions and helping us out,” he said, adding that about 10,000 less fires were reported in 2013 than 2012.
Templin sayid the severity of 2014’s wildfires depends on conditions this winter.
“If the drought continues and we have a weak winter with little rain and snowfall, we could certainly be back into another bad situation next year,” he said.
It cost the United States about $2 billion dollars to fight fires in 2012. The costs for 2013 have not been finalized but Templin said the cost will top $1 billion.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy