PHOENIX — A former U.S. Border Patrol agent and a former state prison guard were sentenced to prison on Tuesday.
Judge Paul Rosenblatt sentenced Ivhan Herrera-Chiang, 31, and Michael Lopez-Garcia, 30, to 15 years and nine years, respectively.
First Assistant U.S. Attorney Elizabeth A. Strange hopes the prison terms will send a message to other government officials who may be engaging in illicit activities.
“These defendants engaged in a profound betrayal of the public trust. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, working with our law enforcement partners, will continue to strive to ensure the integrity of every officer entrusted with the safety of the public,” Strange said. “These sentences send a powerful message that we will not tolerate corruption within the law enforcement ranks.”
The men were found guilty for their involvement in a plot to provide sensitive information to drug traffickers and to arrange for the murder of an informant.
The defendants also earned money by helping traffickers smuggle drugs and illegal immigrants into the United States. Lopez-Garcia smuggled methamphetmine under his prison guard uniform and attempted to smuggle 30 kilograms of cocaine into the country.
In exchange for bribes, Herrara-Chiang assisted him by providing sensor maps, combinations to gates near the Mexican border, computer records and the location of Border Patrol units.
During the final stages of the partnership, Lopez-Garcia attempted to arrange for the murder of a government informant after becoming fearful that the informant might be able to provide incriminating information about his activities. As part of this plan, Lopez-Garcia obtained confidential information concerning the informant’s identity from Herrera-Chiang and then relayed this information to his Mexican trafficking associates.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food