PHOENIX — A former U.S. Border Patrol agent and a former state prison guard were sentenced to prison on Tuesday.
Judge Paul Rosenblatt sentenced Ivhan Herrera-Chiang, 31, and Michael Lopez-Garcia, 30, to 15 years and nine years, respectively.
First Assistant U.S. Attorney Elizabeth A. Strange hopes the prison terms will send a message to other government officials who may be engaging in illicit activities.
“These defendants engaged in a profound betrayal of the public trust. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, working with our law enforcement partners, will continue to strive to ensure the integrity of every officer entrusted with the safety of the public,” Strange said. “These sentences send a powerful message that we will not tolerate corruption within the law enforcement ranks.”
The men were found guilty for their involvement in a plot to provide sensitive information to drug traffickers and to arrange for the murder of an informant.
The defendants also earned money by helping traffickers smuggle drugs and illegal immigrants into the United States. Lopez-Garcia smuggled methamphetmine under his prison guard uniform and attempted to smuggle 30 kilograms of cocaine into the country.
In exchange for bribes, Herrara-Chiang assisted him by providing sensor maps, combinations to gates near the Mexican border, computer records and the location of Border Patrol units.
During the final stages of the partnership, Lopez-Garcia attempted to arrange for the murder of a government informant after becoming fearful that the informant might be able to provide incriminating information about his activities. As part of this plan, Lopez-Garcia obtained confidential information concerning the informant’s identity from Herrera-Chiang and then relayed this information to his Mexican trafficking associates.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier