PHOENIX — A former U.S. Border Patrol agent and a former state prison guard were sentenced to prison on Tuesday.
Judge Paul Rosenblatt sentenced Ivhan Herrera-Chiang, 31, and Michael Lopez-Garcia, 30, to 15 years and nine years, respectively.
First Assistant U.S. Attorney Elizabeth A. Strange hopes the prison terms will send a message to other government officials who may be engaging in illicit activities.
“These defendants engaged in a profound betrayal of the public trust. The U.S. Attorney’s Office, working with our law enforcement partners, will continue to strive to ensure the integrity of every officer entrusted with the safety of the public,” Strange said. “These sentences send a powerful message that we will not tolerate corruption within the law enforcement ranks.”
The men were found guilty for their involvement in a plot to provide sensitive information to drug traffickers and to arrange for the murder of an informant.
The defendants also earned money by helping traffickers smuggle drugs and illegal immigrants into the United States. Lopez-Garcia smuggled methamphetmine under his prison guard uniform and attempted to smuggle 30 kilograms of cocaine into the country.
In exchange for bribes, Herrara-Chiang assisted him by providing sensor maps, combinations to gates near the Mexican border, computer records and the location of Border Patrol units.
During the final stages of the partnership, Lopez-Garcia attempted to arrange for the murder of a government informant after becoming fearful that the informant might be able to provide incriminating information about his activities. As part of this plan, Lopez-Garcia obtained confidential information concerning the informant’s identity from Herrera-Chiang and then relayed this information to his Mexican trafficking associates.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development