PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation is launching a yearlong study on the impact of climate change on the state’s freeways.
In Arizona, climate trends could include a growing number of unusually intense storm events. More severe dust storms, long term drought, flooding and mega wildfires could overwhelm the infrastructure.
The study will focus on Interstates 10, 17 and 19, and also, “We’re going to be looking at bridges, roadways and more,” said department spokeswoman Laura Douglas.
It could be years before major changes come to the state’s highways. The study is a starting point.
“This will be a combination of boots on the ground, studies, workshops and working with other agencies and stakeholders” Douglas said.
ADOT received $125,000 for the pilot program from the Federal Highway Administration. A total of 19 agencies nationwide are taking part in the study.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier