PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Transportation is launching a yearlong study on the impact of climate change on the state’s freeways.
In Arizona, climate trends could include a growing number of unusually intense storm events. More severe dust storms, long term drought, flooding and mega wildfires could overwhelm the infrastructure.
The study will focus on Interstates 10, 17 and 19, and also, “We’re going to be looking at bridges, roadways and more,” said department spokeswoman Laura Douglas.
It could be years before major changes come to the state’s highways. The study is a starting point.
“This will be a combination of boots on the ground, studies, workshops and working with other agencies and stakeholders” Douglas said.
ADOT received $125,000 for the pilot program from the Federal Highway Administration. A total of 19 agencies nationwide are taking part in the study.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development