PHOENIX — As of late Tuesday night, early returns have Laura Pastor and Kate Gallego holding leads in their respective Phoenix City Council races for District 4 and 8.
Pastor, a teacher, fifth generation Arizonan and daughter of United States Rep. Ed Pastor, reportedly leads by a narrow margin in District 4 — 51.76 percent to 48.24 — over candidate Justin Johnson, the son of former Phoenix Mayor Paul Johnson.
In District 8, however, Gallego’s advantage appears to be a sizable one — 62.47 percent to 37.53 percent — over her opponent, Reverend Warren Stewart, with 11,499 ballots counted.
Gallego, the wife of Arizona state Rep. Ruben Gallego, has previously served on the Arizona Commission on Service and Volunteerism. If elected, she would be the first woman to ever represent District 8 in City Hall.
According to the Phoenix Elections’ official Twitter account, about 4,000 ballots, which includes 99 provisional ballots, still have yet to be processed.
While that task will not officially conclude until Friday, Nov. 7, Stewart released a statement conceding the run-off election to Gallego.
Congratulations on your victory to become the new Phoenix City Councilperson for District 8. I pray that you will connect with all of the residents of District 8, especially those who have expressed to me during this campaign that they are tired of being ignored and feel like “second-class Phoenicians” due to the neglect of the City of Phoenix to equitably address the pressing needs of the underserved residents of the district, many of whom are people of color.
Let’s work together, Phoenix, for the great future that can brighten today and tomorrow for our neighborhoods, communities, city, the Valley of the Sun, our state, nation and world. Remember, it’s all about community, diversity amidst community. We have more in common with each other than not in common.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food