GLENDALE, Ariz. — The U.S. Air Force has wished its longest-serving civil servant a hearty good luck.
With friends and family by her side, 88-year-old Dorothy M. Rowe officially retired from the Air Force Tuesday, ending her 70-year-career. A luncheon was held in her honor where she received letters of congratulations from both President Barack Obama and Arizona Senator John McCain.
Acting Secretary of the Air Force Eric Fanning called Rowe a trailblazer.
“When she first joined the government in 1943, women just weren’t eligible for the same opportunities as men,” Fanning said. “By those standards, it would be unheard of for a woman to be the Chief of Financial Analysis, responsible for millions of dollars of base funds.”
But that’s exactly what she did.
Rowe worked at Luke Air Force base for 60 years after moving to Arizona in 1953.
Rowe said the job has kept her busy.
“I sweat those numbers every year,” she remarked.
Fanning said that Rowe has seen a lot of people come and go.
“She has served under 13 presidents,” said Fanning. “She’s seen Luke transition between four different major commands, and she has worked for over 40 different wing commanders.”
During all of that time, Rowe also accomplished something away from the base. She is a champion bowler, and her name is in the National Bowling Hall of Fame in St. Louis, Mo.
Rowe said she still has to decide what she’ll do next, but whatever it is, she said it will be “a wild adventure.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets