GLENDALE, Ariz. — A starting linebacker for the Arizona Cardinals said the Miami Dolphins are paying the price for letting go of players who were in leadership roles on the team.
Karlos Dansby spent three seasons with the Dolphins before being released in March. He was picked up by the Cardinals in May.
The Dolphins are now embroiled in a controversy. Offensive lineman Jonathan Martin has left the team after claiming that teammate Richie Incognito bullied him by sending racist and vulgar texts and e-mails.
Incognito has been suspended.
During a visit to Luke Air Force Base on Tuesday, Dansby commented that he was a leader in the Miami locker room last year, along with Reggie Bush. Dansby said the incident would’ve never happened on any team he was a leader of.
“If you take the leaders off the team, somebody else has to step up, and nobody has,” said Dansby. “You have situations like this get out into the public. This should have never gotten out into the public. This should have been handled right there in the locker room by the team.”
When asked if he saw anything like this going on in the Miami locker room when he was a member of the Dolphins team, Dansby replied, “No, because I was a leader of the team. [This is not going to happen] on my watch. I’m not going to allow that to take place.”
Dansby said that the incident is a sad situation.
“I know both of those guys,” Dansby said. “I had the opportunity to grace the field with both of them and be in the locker room with both of those guys. Like I say, it’s a really sad situation.”
Dansby hopes that Miami players encourage Martin to rejoin the team and that they make him feel welcome.
“The guy’s been threatened. His life has been threatened,” explained Dansby. “You want to make sure that the atmosphere is perfect for him to come back. You let him know, ‘We are going to come back and we are going to embrace you with open arms.'”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food